Aaron's Reviews > Serpent Mage

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, re_read, weis_hickman
Read from January 27 to 28, 2011

** spoiler alert ** SOME SPOILERS AHEAD:

Serpent Mage sets up the conflict that will be the focus of the final three books. The fourth book sends Haplo to Chelestra, the world of water. Here, he/we discover that his goodness is not just embodied in his dog (if you haven't figured it out yet, the dog is the embodiment of his soul). Despite hardening his resolve and temporarily losing his dog, Haplo can't help but try and do the right thing for the united dwarves, humans, and elves. Also, we finally find the counterparts to the Patryn; the full Sartan Council have made Chelestra their home, including Samah, a Sartan every bit as powerful, ruthless, and intelligent as the Lord of the Nexus (again, we find balance in the world). Alfred is revealed as the most powerful Sartan alive (again, balance is found within each character - Haplo is both good & bad; Alfred is weak & strong).

Finally, we are introduced to the "higher power for evil," opposing the "higher power for good" introduced in Fire Sea. This is the true conflict; Haplo determines that he must stop the "dragon-snakes" for both the good of his people AND the four worlds.

Although the action may not be as taut as in the first three books, we have a story that evolves the characters and reveal them for who they are. From here on out, it's a race to save the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serpent Mage.