Steven's Reviews > The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos

The Hidden Reality by Brian Greene

Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: science
Read from March 09 to 23, 2011

I just finished this book and my brain hurts.

I had read a previous book of Greene's and my memory told me that I had followed it pretty well. Now I'm not so sure. This is a pretty dense book to get through. It left me feeling like I don't know anything about the universe(s) around me.

Greene looks at various and theories and ideas about the possibility of other universes existing outside (or within, or near) or own. He covers nine variations, from one's that lead from quantum and string theory, to ones that are much more conjectural. He does a good job of explaining, even if I didn't always do a good job of understanding. Good illustrations throughout help explain. Although he gives readers much appreciated permission to jump ahead to sections if they don't want to know how the quantum sausage is made, I gave it a shot anyways. I always felt I was right on the edge of grasping the concept, but not quite.

Which is kind of where Greene says physicists and mathematicians find themselves in their quest to determine the existence of parallel universes through equation and experimentation. Overall, this is a great explanation of the scientific state of the art on this topic. Read carefully and with an open mind. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Reality.