Nikki's Reviews > The Shadowed Sun

The Shadowed Sun by N.K. Jemisin

May 29, 13

bookshelves: fantasy
Read on May 29, 2013

I can't decide which I liked best of this duology. I think I do prefer The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms et al, on the whole, but this was really enjoyable, and my favourite aspect was that Jemisin took a character we wouldn't expect to sympathise with and slowly made us realise he wasn't so bad at all. His character also opened an avenue to explore other parts of the world, too. I could've wished for more time with Nijiri, Sunandi, etc, but they weren't really at the heart of this story, so to focus on them would've been superfluous, really.

There is a lot of rape and abuse and general violence at the heart of this story. It took me a while to figure out how I felt about it, but ultimately I think all of it was necessary for the evolution of situations and characters. But I wish that there'd been more about Tantufi: I wish she'd been treated more as a person by the narrative, given a voice.

I love how Jemisin's work can stand alone, but links up to form a larger, richer world as well. Her world building is very, very satisfying, and well done: sometimes there's a lot to take in, but for me there's always enough to work out the rules.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadowed Sun.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynn E. O'Connacht But I wish that there'd been more about Tantufi: I wish she'd been treated more as a person by the narrative, given a voice.

Oh, thank goodness I'm not alone in that feeling. I still so torn on this book. And words I lack, but. Had to say that much at least.

Nikki I liked it, and everything hung together where I was worried it wouldn't, but... the whole time, Tantufi is basically an object. I know Jemisin would've been capable of writing even just a little bit from her point of view.

Lynn E. O'Connacht Yes, exactly. It's one of the main reasons I struggle with my feelings on the book: because the narrative treats Tantufi as nothing more than a thing. T_T And it didn't have to. Jemisin's already proven that she's capable of doing this kind of plot justice.