Sammet's Reviews > The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls

The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls by Alex Irvine

Feb 27, 11

Recommended for: Fans of Supernatural
Read from February 04 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

An interesting book for Supernatural fans, but I definitely lacked sources for anything.
The book is written from Sam and Dean's point of view, but also shifts to 3rd person perspective, which is extremely strange. It also feels a bit out of character, but hey! I did not read this book for the writing of Sam and Dean. I read it because I wanted to know more about the monsters, spirits, revenants, ghouls and demons.

There were plenty of interesting ghost stories and lore from all over the world, and I enjoyed reading them. I wish there would have been less interference by Sam and Dean (so to speak) and more "meat on the bones" in terms of really covering the story. Being very accustomed to the Swedish urban legend about myrlingar - I barely recognized what the author was trying to convey about them! So that was a bummer. Also don't get why the character åäö was neglected in a novel; because no matter what - "bäckahästen" and "backahasten" just ain't the same!

The font was a bit annoying (too similar to Comic Sans or the Harry Potter font!), especially during the drafts from John Winchester's journal. I found them pretty hard on the eyes to read.

The appendix of herbs etc. and known demons was also a nice thing added to the book.

So in general; I enjoyed the book. Don't expect it to be some amazing piece of fiction, it's just a good read if you're curious and enjoy the show, I guess! (Also, this book was published around season 2 or 3. I smiled when "the Winchesters" mentioned that dragons definitely don't exist!)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Supernatural Book of Monsters, Spirits, Demons, and Ghouls.

02/23/2011 page 97
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Is this one any good? I'm a huge fan of SPN but I'm always weary towards books of this kind. Is it about the characters or about the "real" persons? I kinda hate reading/seeing interviews with the actors because that spoils my view on the characters as real, hee.

Sammet I think it's fairly good, if a bit childish. Both the font and the language of the author makes me frown at times. It is written from Sam and Dean's point of view, and they will give you tips on how to exterminate monsters et cetera. However, they will also let you know how to conjure evil spirits which is hypocritical! It also shifts from "we" ("we would do it like this", "we are hunting the yellow-eyed demon") to 3rd person point of view which is a bit annoying.

It is not at ALL about Jensen Ackles or Jared Padalecki, the book is only written in the "Supernatural universe" and will take you up on a lot of lore and ghost stories! I think I'll give this a 3 at best though, but hey, at least I am enjoying reading it as I love stories ;)