Matthew's Reviews > Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear

Fearless by Max Lucado

Jan 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

Life is fraught with uncertainty, seemingly now more than ever. For many, this uncertainty leads to fear. We fear the unknowns in the economy and worry about having enough money or keeping our jobs. We fear the unknowns in parenthood, and worry about the safety and character of our children. Turn on the news, and you’re bombarded with reports designed to heighten your fear and keep you tuning in. What is the Christian response to all of this? Max Lucado’s timely book, Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear seeks to answer this question. With chapters designed around specific fears (insignificance, raising children, money, violence, even death), Lucado utilizes scripture, along with a vast amount of anecdotal stories, to communicate the Christian worldview’s response to fear.

This is one of the best-timed books I’ve seen. News outlets, politicians, marketers, and others all seem to have decided that scare tactics are the best way to get people’s attention and get them to listen. Additionally, the world itself can be a difficult place, with natural disasters, disease, abuse, and other perilous situations. Fear has become a normal part of life, but Lucado reminds us that Jesus commanded his disciples not to fear over and over again. Fear is not necessarily a sin, but it does signal a lack of trust.

I’ll admit this is the first Max Lucado book I’ve read. I’ve avoided them like I avoid pop music. If it’s popular, I don’t want it. Lucado’s success, with Christian bookstores plastering his books across entire walls, indicated to me that he must be very surface level, and while Fearless is not a theological treatise on the issue of fear, Lucado is dead on in his assessment of the sources of and antidotes to it. Yes, his anecdotes are corny at times, and yes, this book is clearly written for the masses, but that doesn’t make it wrong. Time after time, Lucado counters our fears with the person and work of Jesus, the sovereignty and character of God, and faith in both.

Lucado is a good writer as well. He writes with a pastor’s heart. He’s charming, weaving humor and poignant stories together in well-constructed chapters. The book is enjoyable. He does tie the bow on each issue a little too cleanly, as he tends to gloss over some really difficult situations without really digging into the mess too much. These times are pretty rare, though, and Lucado isn’t writing to quell all doubts and solve all issues. He’s writing to the mass audience of Christians who aren’t going to read a theological heavyweight to address their issues. Someone has to write for these people, and Lucado does it very well, providing theologically accurate, albeit sometimes incomplete, answers to the fear being propagated by many today.

I wouldn’t really recommend this book for serious readers who like their theology challenged and sharpened, but if you know someone who reads a little more casually and struggles with fear and worry, this might be a good gift to counter the numerous voices they are hearing today. Lucado doesn’t fail to point them to Christ as the answer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fearless.