Awallens's Reviews > A Kiss Before the Apocalypse

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E. Sniegoski

F 50x66
Feb 05, 2011

Read from January 27 to February 05, 2011

I have to admit that this book isn't one I would normally pick up and read. But a book club I was involved in chose this book to read next month and I had an audio copy that looked OK so off I went. This book is one of the best books I've read this year.
The premise: Remy Chandler is an angel, but not just any angel. He is a private investigator who never ages and can talk to animals— his black lab Marlow is the perfect character— and he has a so-called in with the spiritual world. He can correspond with other angels, and even demons.
At the beginning of the story, Remy, is tailing a guy suspected of cheating on his wife. As Remy sits back with his fifth cup of coffee of the morning, he hears a gun shot and runs into the hotel room to find the man has shot his lover and as Remy watches, shoots himself as well. Even though both have been shot in the head, they refuse to die. Upon further investigation, he finds that nobody is dying, not even people who should. After speaking with angels— both good and bad ones, Remy finds the Angel of Death is not doing his job and has taken over the body of a human. It is, then, Remy's job to find this angel and bring him back and get him to do his job.
But as if this wasn't enough, the Apocolypse is coming, and Remy must stop it as well.
Lest you think this is a light-hearted romp through the supernatural, think again. Snagovski injects this story with humor, great amounts of sadness, and action and adventure. We are taken on a roller coaster of emotions from the love Remy and his dying wife express for each other, the anger he has towards the Angel of Death, and the fear of the up-coming apocolypse.
This is the first in a series and I was delighted to be able to get the other two in this series. if you want a book that has it all, I would recommend you give this book a try. Private investigator angel he may be, but Remy Chandler is not one to be taken lightly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss Before the Apocalypse.