All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Haven

Haven by Kristi Cook

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

I hate this cover. And not because it’s dull, plain, and uninspiring (I still have no idea why there’s a giant butterfly on the front). I hate it because it completely turned me off of this book so that I almost didn’t read it. And then I would have missed out on a story that is deeply romantic and tragic in a way that pierces your heart and makes you long for the impossible.

HAVEN doesn’t really break new grown with it’s plot, in fact it borrows heavily from Buffy, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, TWILIGHT, FALLEN, and to a lesser degree HARRY POTTER and X-Men. But it does combine some of the best parts of those stories to create a book that plucks at your heartstrings, carries you along a dark romance, forces you to chase after a dangerous mystery, and holds you hostage until the very end.

What HAVEN doesn’t borrow are the clichés that litter this genre. We are spared the vicious beautiful clique at the boarding school where Violet transfers. She doesn’t get a long with everyone, but there aren’t any psycho cheerleaders who get off on torturing people. Better still, Violet isn’t some wimpy waif who needs to be coddled into using her abilities. And her love interest, Aiden…it’s impossible to say what I liked so much about him without giving away anything, but the way his maturity is explained so perfectly sidesteps something that always bothers me in YA fiction that I actually let out a sigh of relief.

Bad cover art can’t really be blamed on the author, and I hope readers will look past it and experience the story and characters inside because Paranormal YA doesn’t get much better than HAVEN. Mystery, romance, and friendship tied up in a neat paranormal package. On her website, Kristi says that HAVEN is the first in a planned trilogy. They can’t come soon enough.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to sex.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.