Sweetp-1's Reviews > Guardian of the Dead

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

Feb 12, 11

bookshelves: ya, favs, fantasy, a-nz-connection
Recommended for: fantasy readers, NZers, maori folklore enthusiasts
Read from January 26 to February 12, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will be eagerly anticipating more from this author. Incredibly refreshing to read a creepy fantasy novel set in New Zealand and I have much admiration for the author for the way she wove traditional Maori mythologies into a contemporary setting. There was much to love here ; from the not-your-typical-girl heroine who on one hand seems amazonian in strength and size but who worries about the things we all do (our flabby stomach and not being good enough), to the not-your-typical boy love interest. Mostly I loved the fact the story was set in an almost true Christchurch - I many never look at Riccarton Bush in quite the same way - and loved all the authentic details that were included. Even down to the NZ songs as chapter titles. This is a novel that should resonate with the kiwi reader but the greater themes of selfdiscovery and the fight against a deadly supernatural force will appeal more widely. A simply enjoyable read that I will add to my own bookshelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Dead.