Cara's Reviews > Girl, Stolen

Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Jan 19, 14

bookshelves: 2011, realistic-fiction
Read from February 24 to 28, 2011

From the get go we know what we are going to get. Cheyenne is blind and is accidentally kidnapped by a young man named Griffin. Unbeknowst to him she is in the Escalade, and he is in a world of trouble to say the least. At first he just doesn't have any idea what to do with her, but his dad finds out that she is the daughter of a CEO, and a CEO for Nike at that. Cheyenne knows she has the disadvantage here. She's blind and sick with pneumonia; she is not in top fighting shape. Can she dare hope that there is a way out?

The story is told through shifting perspectives. We see things from Cheyenne's and Griffin's point of view. Their relationship is odd and complicated because you get the impression fairly quickly that Griffin really isn't like his dad and the deadbeats he hires. Griffin has sympathy for Cheyenne. Throughout this whole ordeal the two get to know each other. Given the circumstances that would seem weird but the author does make it believable. Especially since the whole thing wasn't planned out. The bad guys are flying by the seat of their pants so to speak.

Cheyenne is so strong, and resourceful. She has this relatable feeling to her. This girl fights tooth and nail to keep herself alive, and figure out how to escape. Though the story is short I feel like I know Cheyenne and Griffin really well. You learn how she became blind, and how it's been hard to deal with that. I couldn't imagine not being able to just pick up a book and read it, and she even mentions that it's one of the things she misses the most. From reading this I learned a great deal about how it is to live like a blind person, and struggles they must deal with on a daily basis. As the reader we also get the backstory of Griffin and why he is in his certain situation. It's weird, but the two of them had some things in common, which was interesting to see. The only misgiving I have is that I felt the first half of the book wasn't that suspenseful, but then again it did have good character interactions.

The author is so good at suspense. Towards the end I just kept anticipating what was going to happen. It didn't go down like I thought it would, but I have to say I did like the ending. Great writing and insight, so highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Stolen.

02/26/2011 page 132
62.0% 6 comments
02/27/2011 page 213
100.0% "Packs a punch for being such a short read."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyndsey (new) - added it

Lyndsey Hi! Just wondering if you were liking this one so far? Have you read Stolen: A letter to my captor? The title reminded me of that one.

Cara I've only gotten a couple of pages in but the concept does seem interesting. I blind girl being captured and trying to escape? Well that could be really suspenseful and I haven't read something like that in awhile, but I'll tell you what I think when I'm done. So far seems promising. Nope I actually haven't but I've heard LOTS of good things about it. Or this might be another book I'm thinking about not sure.

message 3: by Cara (last edited Feb 25, 2011 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Nope it was the right book I was thinking of. Now I gotta read that one:) My to-read list is ever expanding *sigh*

message 4: by Lyndsey (new) - added it

Lyndsey LOL. Yes, Goodreads going to need to buy a new server just for my TBR list. It's massive.

Cara Hahaha:D So true, so true.

message 6: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Great review, Cara! Thank you for the push—this has been in my “to-read” pile for awhile! I’m looking forward to it! :)

Cara You're welcome:D I'm glad I could be of help and hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.