Meg's Reviews > Flesh and Fire

Jan 26, 2011

bookshelves: fantastical
Recommended for: Leah
Read on February 12, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect from such a clear departure from Gilman's usual genre, but Gilman handles the switch from Whedon-esque urban fantasy to a more traditional old-timey kingdom setting with remarkable aplomb. In this series, magic is not electric current, as it is with her others, but instead takes the form of wine, made from grapes that mages carefully cultivate over the course of decades. It's a gripping image, and she puts it to good use in the story of an apprentice to a quiet, isolated vinter-mage. I find the politics of the world fascinating as well, though we've only just begun to delve into them by the last few chapters.

This book is a definite jumping-off point for the rest of the series, and leaves you with more questions than conclusions, so I recommend having the second book on hand if possible. I am busy searching my library catalogs and getting, as usual, quite cross at their failure to pay any attention to ordering in series. (I understand not having the most recent books in the series, but honestly, who buys the sixth book of one series by an author and nothing else? Really, Arlington, WHO?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flesh and Fire.