JoLee's Reviews > Sisters Red

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, young-adult, paper
Read in January, 2011

More at: Intellectual Recreation

Jackson Pearce's Sisters Red is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. A retelling where the Red girls are like Buffy, the woodcutter is a good-looking young man, are there are lots and lots of wolves. Oh, and they are evil and soulless, by the way.

Scarlett and Rosie lived with their grandmother. The three are attacked one day by a Fenris who kills their grandmother and leaves Scarlett terribly scarred. She devotes her life to fighting the Fenris and drags Rosie along with her in her quest for their annihilation.

I don't know what to say about this book really. I liked the idea. I like the cover. I liked the fairytale prologue a lot. I wasn't really in the mood for fantastical monsters, and I think that might have colored my reception. Also, the twist wasn't all that surprising to me. And I wasn't really feeling love story either. I seem to be kind of talking myself out of a good review, but really at the time I thought it was okay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters Red.

Jennifer I felt very similarly about the second in the series, which I just happened upon during a quick trip to the library. Good, but not stellar. Also, I miss you and book club isn't the same with out you :(