Lindsay's Reviews > The Long Weekend

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: blog-tour
Read from March 21 to 23, 2011

4.5/5.0

If this book is ever made into a movie, they are going to have to bring Alfred Hitchcock back from dead. I don't know of single other director who could possibly do the freak-out, scare factor justice.

I usually am underwhelmed by any book publicized to be a 'thriller'; they typically fail to give me that oh-my-gaaawd-look-over-my-shoulder thrill. You can probably tell that I am leading up to this, but let me just declare that The Long Weekend delivers. Paranormal baddies can't compare to the true, entirely possible, everyday evil that drives down our streets and exists in this book.

First, you simply aren't ready for it. The opening reads like an MG book. It's thoroughly enjoyable, but its wording and the two 11-year old characters both are firmly in the junior high boys' world of sports, music and simply hanging out. Then, their parents are late picking them up one evening, and they are stuck waiting in the rain for one set or the other. And finally a car pulls up, and the both get in, each thinking it's the other's dad. I mean, would your 11-year old know better? You know he would, you think he would, and then you hope he would; but. . . does he?

What ensues is a parent's worse nightmare and one that kids may not know enough to have. Kalhan skillfully balances our horror at the boys' situation with the wonderful, rational, determined and loyal Sam. The story is told through a his third-person limited perspective, and his denial, terror, and assessment of the situation becomes your own. His fear and emotions are so en pointe that we never are bothered with checking behind our back for our safety; we are too busy worried about what is going to jump in front of Sam (and us). His entirely believable voice adds an additional level of fright because he sounds exactly like an 11-year old in an impossible situation - it adds an even more potent dose of realism, and the irony is that I don't think this is a book I would suggest for 11-year olds! It's that frighteningly real. It's that scary. Despite the younger tone and the age of the characters, this is a book I would suggest for YA audiences and older.

This is a wonderfully written, stand alone book. Kalhan makes sure that we leave this story with a resolution, and I was greatly impressed that she kept me guessing what would happen with the boys right until the end. If you are looking for a keep-you-up-all-night thriller with very real characters and a plot that can happen in everyday life, then The Long Weekend is for you.

FTC: I received this book from the author to read and give my honest opinion. In no way was I compensated for my review.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Weekend.

03/21/2011 page 53