Melysah Bunting's Reviews > The Next Christians: The Good News About the End of Christian America

The Next Christians by Gabe Lyons

Mar 18, 11

Read from January 26 to 28, 2011

My latest review for Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group is "The Next Christians The Good News About the End of Christian America" by Gabe Lyons. The book teaches how to be engaged, modern Christians. It's an optimistic outlook into the future of Christianity.

I like how the book explains the different types of Christians, mainly separatists, cultural and restorers. I've always resonated with the restorer type, but I never knew there where others with the same view (Considering, I live the South where most Christians are separatists). Lyons explains that we need to become engaged Christians for Christianity to prosper.

An engaged spiritualist, according to Wikipedia, is a religious and/or spiritual person who actively engages in the world, in order to transform it, in positive ways while finding nurturing, inspiration and guidance in their spiritual beliefs and practices. The term was inspired by Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, states Wikipedia. Thich Nhat Hanh is widely known in the Buddhist community for his efforts in connecting Buddhism and Christianity with his book, "Living Buddha, Living Christ" (A very good book I might add.).

Gabe Lyons seems to lead Christianity in that same direction. He reiterates in the book a speech by Max Kampelman, a Jewish conscientious during WWI, who stresses, "But when we see the world in terms of how things ought to be we can dream for the impossible-and work to see it become reality."

I was deeply inspired by the book. It gives a modern plan on how to restore faith to our country and, ultimately, the world. We can all get back to the basics of Jesus's calling to be loving, engaged, sacrificial, unselfish, and compassionate contributers to culture with the help of this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Christians.