Bookaholics's Reviews > Raven's Quest

Jan 26, 11

Raven’s Quest by Anya Bast
Paranormal Romance -Feb. 1st, 2011
4 stars

Raven’s Quest is a magical fantasy adventure mixed with romance that reminded me of a grown up fairy tale. This story was previously published and is not as sexually charged as the author’s usual books.

Gallus Navious Lucan was miraculously saved when the rest of his royal family was murdered by his evil uncle. Now his uncle controls the military and uses them to defeat the small rebel force that Lucan has secretly raised. Lucan’s quest to bring his uncle down is interrupted by the appearance of a lovely sorceress. Unfortunately, sorceresses have been outlawed and enslaved by his uncle. Lucan saves the beautiful woman named Branna ta Cattia and learns that she is a high priestess on a mission to find a priest and enact a ritual to dissolve the evil magic that Lucan’s uncle controls. Only then can everyone in their world be free. But Lucan and Branna are not ready to reveal their secrets, and their unexpected attraction makes it difficult to trust their feelings for each other. Can they open up and aid one another before it is too late?

This is a light fantasy read. I loved the kingdoms the author created and how magic worked. In fact, I would like to know more about each of the kingdoms especially Tir na Ban and its people. Lucan is a noble hero who works feverishly to return the kingdom to its former glory. Branna is also a worthy heroine, who although untested, believes in her Goddess and is willing to make sacrifices. These 2 admirable characters at first work against each other until they discover they have a common goal. I only wish they hadn’t been at cross-purposes for such a long time and worked together sooner. One of the best parts is how evil Lucan’s uncle was portrayed. He is despicable villain that you will love to hate. Readers who are used to Anya Bast’s racier novels might be disappointed that this is gentler and slower book, but I found it engrossing.

Sweet and dreamy, this imaginative book will sweep you away to another world filled with magic and intrigue.

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raven's Quest.