EZRead eBookstore's Reviews > Spy Killer (Stories from the Golden Age)

Spy Killer (Stories from the Golden Age) by L. Ron Hubbard

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: jenifer-reviews

Gunfire, muscles, and Benedict Arnolds abound, it’s time yet again for a pulp fiction review! Kurt Reid, our hero in “Spy Killer” is a bucko sailor looking scratch the itch of helping damsels in distress. He also has the misfortunate habit of being arrested by practically every Chinese and Japanese soldier who lays eyes on him. When Varinka Savischna appears and gives him a job to do in Shanghai, our meaty man is drawn in like a cat to catnip. This EZ Reader would have just sailed back to the good ol’ US of A.

Kurt Reid is a man of action throughout, but I actually argue that this book is about Varinka Savischna. Sure, Kurt is fighting for his life throughout, but Varinka is like the puppet master when it comes to spying and intrigues. It’s a combo of brains and brawn, except Varinka has brains, more brains, and a side of brawn. Kurt just happens to attract great action scenes.

Compared to my other pulp reads (“Dead Men Kill” and “The Baron of Coyote River”), “Spy Killer” felt a little more gritty, and had more plot twists than 88 pages have ever seen before. I think part of the grody grittiness was due in part to the villain, Lin Wang, who warrants a description with words like: “leprosy”, “unhealthy”, and “protruding.” In fact, if I were to type up the way this man was described in full, this review would receive an “R” rating. Even the delicious description of punching zombies in “Dead Men Kill” has nothing on the limping, dead-eyed Wang. On the plus side, “Spy Killer” did have a nice element of romance, unavoidable considering how naturally hunky Kurt is. It’s not “The Notebook”, but there is somewhat of a love triangle between Kurt, Varinka, and his old flame Anne Carsten. You’ll have to read it to understand what I mean by “somewhat”.

A fast read for pulp fiction fans and people who are just generally interested in gunfire, “The Spy Killer” has a classic feel with an action movie style, and makes for a great afternoon dose of adrenaline.

Considering naming myself Varinka,

EZ Read Staffer Jenifer
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spy Killer (Stories from the Golden Age).