Melanie's Reviews > The Distant Hours

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: historicfiction, favoritereread, must-read, mysteries, romance
Read in January, 2011

I've enjoyed each of Kate Morton's books, but this was my favorite. I adore the way she takes a knotted tale and unravels it throughout a book, switching time periods and perspectives to get the perfect illustration of what exactly has taken place. Her character development is fantastic as well, as we see new revelations about each character as the story progresses, see the motivations and effects of each action until we can almost see into their literary souls. Particularly Percy Blythe and Meredith Burchill in this book were two beautifully developed characters, making the story itself both tragic and hopeful at the same time.
I recognize that Morton's books border on formulaic with her hidden family mysteries, her literary themes, classist distinctions, and mammoth castles or family estates as the scene...but I still am surprised at the end, I still feel like the read has been fulfilling and even delightful to work through. This book, in particular, I know will stay with me; I know certain scenes or character traits will come to the forefront of my mind again and again, and to me that marks a worthwhile read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Hours.