Laurie Garrison 's Reviews > Awaken the Highland Warrior

Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney

May 27, 11

bookshelves: time-travel-romance, paranormal-romance, requests
Read in May, 2011

Wild about bones review below
My Review:

This is the first in the new Connor Clan series. It drew and kept my attention almost from the first page. Demons, lizard/snake men, a few vampires, an Archangel, a plot to destroy mankind, sword & dirk fighting, sexy highlanders, a damsel so not in distress, a smoldering attraction and a little humor - what more do you need for a good paranormal romance read?

Bree, historian and Indiana Jones wannbe, finds more than she bargained for when she unearths a crypt while treasure hunting and opens it with a flat disc. All she wanted was the treasure, instead she got him, Faelan - a seriously hot man in a kilt.

The last thing Faelan knew, he'd been about to fight four demons - the old ones - and then he was looking into her eyes. Was she a demon's minion, a halfling or a demon in disguise? She said 150 years had passed. All he knew were dead. How to get back to his clan in Scotland? He didn't know but he did know that just looking at her made him hard with a longing that was almost to much to control.

This was a nice length which allowed for in depth story and character development. The action is fast-paced with several twists and surprises. Amidst the fighting, a steamy romance is going on with vanilla sex scenes. And while not a comedy by any stretch of the imagination, it can be very humorous much of the time.

As the first in a new series, it has set up several secondary characters for exploration as lead characters in future books but without the aggravating cliffhangers some authors use. Clenney successfully whispers at potential subjects to pursue in the future without interrupting the flow of the story.

While the sex could have been hotter, my one small disappointment with the book is that I figured out two of the twists/problems - one of the twists I figured out pretty early and one of the problems I figured out late in the book but before it was revealed. But that's just me, it happens alot with me and shouldn't reflect badly on the book. There were several twists and issues I didn't figure out which is good.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the sequel, Embrace the Highland Warrior, due out in Nov. 2011, a preview of which is included at the end of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken the Highland Warrior.