♥Xeni♥'s Reviews > Mockingbird

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, psychology, children, death, family
Read on August 04, 2011, read count: 1

Before reading this book I never realized how much in common it had with The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time  by Mark Haddon. Not just because both main characters are autistic (well, the girl in Mockingbird had Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of autism) but also because of the underlying stories.

I loved the charm that Caitlin shows the world, which really comes over since she's speaking in first person. She just doesn't understand some things that I've been able to grasp and understand since I was a kid and for me that is really difficult to wrap my head around.

Also, while reading this book I was always thinking back to my grade- and middle school years, to when the "special kids" were allowed to come to recess / lunch with us. How they would flip out for no apparent reason and scream and moan and yell and just throw major tantrums. That is something that Mockingbird explained for me; why they do this.

Also, the characters were enjoyable, the story eye-opening and realistic and the writing very well done. I definitely learned from this book and I enjoyed myself while doing so!

I recommend this book to be read by just about everyone.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingbird.