EZRead eBookstore's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: jenifer-reviews

This book gets a lot of hate because people assume its “Twilight” fan fiction. But let’s be real, “Twilight” wasn’t the proprietor of paranormal romance, or werewolves. And while there are some striking similarities, “Shiver” is really doing its’ own special thing here. So haters, sit down and have a little chorus of “Kumbaya” before you pop a blood vessel. Is “Shiver” worth the read, forgoing all of the social love/hate with paranormal romance YA?

Yes. Yes, it is. I’m getting to the age where I’m either really sentimental or just plain giggly, because this book was googly-moogly enough to make me blush at my cubicle. The romance between Grace and Sam, our hero and heroine, is intense and occasionally corny. They have their share of adventure with the wolf-thing, but at its core, this is love story. And I must be the world’s biggest masochist, because I enjoyed giggling and eye-rolling my way through Sam’s poetry. As far as the werewolf thing, I appreciated the lack of romance that came with being a human/wolf. There really is no debate for Grace as to whether or not it’s a lifestyle that would be awesome; it stinks and after a while, you get stuck as only a wolf. I won’t go into all the deets here!

I dug Maggie Stiefvater’s somewhat poetic writing style, and the pace of the story kept me going. There are also plenty of OMG moments that gives the book an enjoyable level of stress. If you’re a fan of the YA genre and you like your romance tapered with some supernatural issues, you’ll like it. I’m not going to say there aren’t some major plot holes, but come on readers, you know what you’re getting into. You can’t just walk into a Starbucks and be all mad that they’re selling coffee.

Am I going to pick up the sequel? Heck yes.

-EZ Read Staffer Jenifer
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.