EZRead eBookstore's Reviews > Homer's Odyssey

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

Jan 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: amelia-reviews

Able to jump from tall book cases in a single bound. Look! It’s a cat. It’s blind. It’s Homer!

Though some skeptics may think this comparison is over the top, they obviously have not yet read about the antics of Homer, the blind wonder kitty. He has amazing instincts, super hearing, a super sense of smell, and has as much affection and protective nature as a dog (apologies to any cat lovers/dog haters). All of these abilities are impressive enough with a regular cat, but put them on an eyeless one and it’s like dressing Homer up in a super hero costume.

Homer’s exploits make for such a fun and amazing character that I just want to bundle him and sneak him into my own apartment. And that is not just the animal lover in me talking. Cooper’s actions, however, sometimes border along the line of an animal activist instead of an animal enthusiast.

Despite her attempt at avoiding being known as the “crazy cat lady,” this cannot be entirely avoided when her entire life revolves around her pets. I agree that pet owners should always act responsibly, no matter how many or few pets they have. However, there is a difference between being responsible and being obsessed.

The blind black kitty is who saves the day with this novel… not literally, by the way. However, I do get the impression, from all the feats that this “wonder cat” can accomplish, that he could save the day if he really wanted to. Read about some of his more amazing acts and you will understand. You too, may end up thinking of him as super cat, as I like to call him, now.

The harsh reality of it all is this: I would rather read more about the cat, than the owner. Now that I’ve said it, the rest of you are gonna think I’m the activist. Oh well. Just read the book and you’ll see what I mean.

-EZ Read Staffer Amelia

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homer's Odyssey.

04/13/2016 marked as: read

Thomas Amelia obviously didn't read the subtitle of the book - "A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat". The centerpiece of the book is, of course, Homer, but the narrative is about what Gwen learns from him. It is as much her story as Homer's and that is a big part of what makes the book appealing. If it were just a story about a blind cat it would be entertaining, but it is much more than that. It's about the experiences that Gwen has what she learns, and some insights that she gains that make the story what it is.