Iowa City Public Library's Reviews > Juliet

Juliet by Anne Fortier

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: audio, kara, staff-picks-blog, fiction
Read in January, 2011

There are so many wonderful things to say about this book … where do I begin? 25-year-old Julie Jacobs has made a habit of avoiding big decisions in her life mostly because of the animosity she feels for her twin sister Janice. Julie is heartbroken when her Aunt Rose, the person who raised her, dies. She is more devastated when she learns that Aunt Rose left her entire estate to Janice except for a key to a mysterious lock box in Sienna, Italy and a cryptic story about family treasures.

Julie sets out to find her fortune in Italy; however, she also finds that others are looking for the treasure and her life is at risk. Julie discovers that she is descended from Giulietta Tolomei who inspired generations of stories and poetry as Juliet in the Romeo and Juliet stories. Julie also learns that ancient superstitions and vendettas are still a part of modern-day Sienna life. While some want her to find the treasure, others thwart her efforts for fear of reviving ancient curses. She also realizes Romeo may hold the key to the mystery and the prize – but where is Romeo?

Anne Fortier created a wonderful story full of mystery, suspense, love, family secrets, and self-discovery. The characters are well developed, there are many plot twists, and she creates a wonderful sense of place with the backdrop of famous places in Siena including Piazza del Campo, Piazza dei Salimbeni, and the Fountain of Fontebranda.

I listened to the first 3/4 of the story and Cassandra Campbell’s narration is fabulous. I was impatient to finish (I had to know what happened) so I read the last 1/4 of the book in one sitting. I was in Sienna about seven years ago and this book makes me want to go back, walk the ancient streets, visit the museums, and enjoy the beautiful Tuscan views. This book is highly recommended. ~~Enjoy~~ --Kara

From ICPL Staff Picks Blog
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet.