Nikki-ann's Reviews > Gone: Jack Caffery series 5

Gone by Mo Hayder

Jan 30, 11

Read from January 24 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A woman has been attacked and her car taken by force, and on the back seat was an eleven-year-old girl. She’s still missing. Murder detective Jack Caffrey arrives to interview the distraught mother and he knows that as time goes on it gets less and less likely the child will be found alive.

However, before long the car jacker sends them a letter, a disgusting letter, and Caffrey believes he’s going to take another car and another child. It becomes clear that he won’t stop until he’s caught.

‘Gone’ is the fifth book in Mo Hayder’s Jack Caffrey series, but it also works well as a stand-alone book. It is the first Mo Hayder book I’ve read, but it certainly won’t be the last. If ‘Gone’ is anything to go by, Mo Hayder is a genius when it comes to crime & thriller novels. The story gathers pace and is fast-paced, exciting, gripping, dramatic and emotional, and you really don’t know what will come next, there’s so many twists and turns. The subject is an emotive one and the ending brought me to tears.

Due to the subject matter (little girls being kidnapped by a possible paedophile), you just know this isn’t going to be an easy read, and it isn’t. However, what it is is a real page-turner that keeps you wanting to read on and not put the book down. I was up until well past midnight one evening because I just couldn’t put it down.

I had an inkling of who the car jacker/kidnapper was around a third of the way through the book, but then the story took a whole new turn and a suspect was revealed… it wasn’t who I was thinking of. But, ‘Gone’ features one of those police investigations that keeps you on your toes, so just when you think you’re sure of who the kidnapper/car jacker is, something else comes into play.

Despite this novel being quite long at over 550 pages, it didn’t feel all that long and it certainly didn’t drag. You’ve got the main story of the car-jackings & kidnappings, but then there are a couple of underlying stories involving Jack Caffrey and other staff members too.

Having read ‘Gone’, I’ll definitely be picking up more of Mo Hayder’s books in the future, especially as her next book, ‘Hanging Hill’, is due out in April.

A highly recommended crime thriller!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

01/26/2011 page 97