Jenny Q's Reviews > The Dark Enquiry

The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

Jan 26, 2011

bookshelves: netgalley, my-favorite-reads, best-of-2011, historical-fiction-faves
Read from April 01 to 16, 2011

If you haven't read the Lady Julia Grey series, then I must ask you...WHY NOT??? Though I shouldn't scold you. I only picked up the first book this past February. But I fell in love while reading Silent in the Grave, and I went out and got all of the other books in the series and read them back-to-back--they're that good!

I won't delve too much into the plot because I don't want to let any spoilers slip, but I will tell you why I thought this book was another fantastic addition to a fantastic series! Julia and Brisbane are so much fun to read about. In fact, they made my list of the top ten love stories in literature. With each new novel I feel like I'm picking up with an old friend--a clever, witty, stylish, outrageous friend and her hubba-hubba hot husband!

In this latest installment the Brisbanes are back in London after their exotic (and exciting) honeymoon voyage to Egypt and India. After Brisbane's initial rejection of Julia's involvement and Julia's hilarious attempt at undercover detection, Julia's uptight brother Bellmont becomes their first official case together. And Monty's been a naughty boy, indeed! The Brisbanes are pulled into a sinister tale of blackmail, spiritualism, espionage, and murder. This case is much darker and more dangerous than their previous exploits. With national security threatened and the stakes higher than ever, Julia's life is in danger, and Brisbane's protective instincts are kicked into overdrive.

In the previous book, Dark Road to Darjeeling, the Brisbanes experienced some growing pains as they tried to adjust to married life. It was very realistic, but it was also sad to see two people who loved each other so much have such a hard time of it. I'm happy to say that in The Dark Enquiry, the Brisbanes are able to resolve their differences and work together as a true team. I loved every minute of watching these two together--investigating, collaborating, bantering, and quarrelling...and trying to keep their hands off each other! They even spend some time in the gypsy camp, which turned out to be one of my favorite parts of the story, because I love to see Brisbane embrace that part of his heritage, and I'm hungry for every little truth revealed about that intensely private and mysterious man.

Julia's eccentric family is all present and accounted for, with Plum playing his part as Brisbane's new employee. Julia also gains an intriguing new family member who has an important part in the story and lends even more insight into Brisbane's past. The mystery culminates in a heartpounding climactic scene in which I did not figure out "whodunit" before it was revealed, and in which, in a tragic twist, Julia experiences a devastating loss that tore my heart out. Fans of this delightfully entertaining and beautifully written series will not be disappointed, and this fan is already counting the days to book number six!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Enquiry.

04/05/2011 page 126
32.0% ""One woman in a thousand." That's my girl!"
04/16/2011 page 268
67.0% "Loving this!!"
05/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Yeah, I still have to read the others first :/

Jenny Q Oh, yeah, you have to start at the beginning. I hope you like them. I just love them. The actual mysteries are nothing spectacular, but Julia is so much fun, and Brisbane is so damn sexy--they're very entertaining!

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I do want to read them, I just keep getting side tracked :)

Marg How did I miss this on Netgalley before this! I loved the last book - think it was my favourite in the series! Can't wait for this one.

Jenny Q Marg, you gotta go get it! It wasn't in the newsletter or anything, I just happened to be browsing through the recent additions and there it was!

Marg Went as soon as I saw this tonight!

Jenny Q You know one of the things I love about this series is that it's so easy to jump right back into Julia's world with each new book. In the first chapter I was grinning from ear to ear and my husband looked over and said what are you smiling at? And I said, Oh just Julia being Julia!

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Misfit *hangs head in shame*

No, I haven't read these yet. Keep getting distracted by other books.

Jenny Q I posted two teasers on the blog today. So many great quotes in this book!

From page 312:

I was also quite happy to have finally perfected the self-igniting gunpowder I had laboured over for so long. I carried a small container of it in my reticule with an eye to surprising Brisbane should he have need of a rescue. In fact, I could not wait to use it.

From page 294:

"Tell me, my dear, do you not find his silences deafening?"
"I would rather have an eternity of his silence than five minutes' conversation with any other man," I said truthfully.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Oooh, especially like the second one. Must hurry up and read everything else so I've time for these.

Jenny Q Yes, you must! And you must read them in order! I'm not normally into mysteries, but I love these. One can't help but fall in love with Julia and of course, with Brisbane. He is the ultimate dark, brooding hero. Kind of like James Bond meets Macguyver, but with a huge sense of honor. so yummy. *sigh*

message 12: by Marg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marg Love that second teaser in particular! I am planning to read this book in the next week or so, and I can not wait to do so! The last one was absolutely fabulous!