MBR's Reviews > Simply Irresistible

Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis

4201191
5 Star Contemporary Romance

This was one of the most difficult reviews I have had to write not because I didn't enjoy the book but because of it. I wanted my review to do justice to a book that I had enjoyed immensely and would recommend to anyone who loves a good contemporary romance that would leave your inner self smiling towards the end.

Review:

Simply Irresistible is a book that lives up to its title, yes, its simply irresistible and I found myself so engrossed in the world of Lucky Harbor, the small town life, the larger than life heroes, Jax Cullen who makes my knees go wobbly each and every time and the sisters who make this novel come vibrantly alive that I forgot to mark this book for quotes as I read along, something which I always do when I am reading a novel so that my review would be a complete one. That just goes to show how marvelous a tale Ms. Shalvis has spun with her new series and I can’t wait until the next one comes out in April of this year.

Jax Cullen is a hero who presents himself as a mass of contradictions and I so love myself a hero like him. At first he comes across as the bad boy hero who rides into the story on his bad-ass motorbike; but layer by layer his character unfolds to reveal the complex man he is behind the facade. Jax had grown up with his father when his parents marriage had failed and his father being a cutthroat lawyer by profession, their relationship had had no room for emotions. A grown up Jax had followed his father’s footsteps and had become a very expensive defense attorney for a huge law firm in Seattle, where winning cases at all costs had been the bottom line. His work there had earned him the name of Jackson Cullen III and it had taken Jax’s last case which had gone horribly wrong for him to quit his job and return to Lucky Harbor, the last place he remembers being happy. Now 5 years out of a profession that had sucked the very soul out of him, Jax is laid back, goes through life at his own pace and works doing what he loves; building and restoration. The mayor of Lucky Harbor for the second term Jax is not looking for a relationship after his fiance had walked out on him when he had walked out on his job; that is until beautiful and klutzy Maddie nearly runs him over in her car.

29 year old Maddie is broke and homeless when her late mother’s will brings her to Lucky Harbor. Maddie had been raised by her father who had been a movie-set designer ever since he had taken custody of her since Maddie had turned 5 years old. Having never had much contact with her flighty mother, Maddie is as surprised as her father and two half sisters Tara and Chloe to learn about her mother’s will which had bequeathed them Lucky Harbor Inn, in the hopes of bringing 3 of her children together even if she may not be around to see it. Maddie had earned the nickname of the Mouse from her mother and is a survivor of a physically and emotionally abusive relationship from her ex-boyfriend Alex, an angry, uptight and aggressive LA attorney who didn’t know how to control his temper. It had been Maddie’s retaliation towards Alex that had cost her her job and makes her swear off of men altogether until she runs into the very sexy and delectable Jax Cullen who makes her tingle in all the right places with his searing velvety gaze alone.

When their mother’s will brings them together, it is only Maddie who at first wants to make a go of things and work towards making the derelict Lucky Harbor Inn habitable once again. And that is how Jax Cullen and his tool belt comes into the scene, seducing Maddie of every good intention she has about swearing off of men until now. As Jax brings down the walls that surround Maddie’s heart, so develops a heartwarming relationship between 3 sisters who had not seen each other for the past 5 years. Amidst the small town life of Lucky Harbor, sexual awareness of the eyebrow singeing variety turns into a love so worth taking a chance on that I as a reader absolutely couldn’t have asked for more.

I liked:

1- Jax Cullen. Every single time he walks in with his tool belt around him – needless to say I am a puddle of goo every time that happens and wouldn’t have it any other way. He has this way of seducing Maddie out of her noble intentions that left me breathless and wanting more of where that came from. I loved him for his quiet intensity, his kindness, and the smoldering sensuality that leaps into the picture every time he walks in *fans self*. Jax can certainly master my ahem! baser emotions any day he chooses! ^_^

2- Maddie. She is klutzy, less than perfect and so down on herself when she comes to Lucky Harbor. But she has an inner strength that can definitely make her the Steel Magnolia, the title her mother has given to Tara the eldest of her 3 girls. Maddie’s determination to heal from the brutality of her relationship with Alex and how she is so irresistibly drawn towards Jax and his quiet determination and strength made me root for her big time!

3- Loved the dialogues, each and every one of them whether it be between Jax and Maddie, or between Maddie, Tara and Chloe or Jax and his buddies. Several laugh-out moments in the conversations that makes this an excellent book to cure you from all your woes.

4- Jax and his tool belt. There! Now I have said it. Can’t help but remember a guy on a show on Discovery Travel & Living who had a tool belt around him whilst he went about giving makeovers to people’s homes. Even then, my sole focus was on the tool belt. I guess that explains a bit on my fascination with the tool belt. ^_~

5- I absolutely loved the relationship that develops between Maddie, Tara and Chloe. They are all so very different from one another but the affection and love they have towards each other is evident right from the very beginning. Though it is Tara’s story that will be coming out in April, I can’t help but want to read Chloe and Sawyer’s story. I have a mind that it’s going to be pretty darn explosive!! ^_^

6- Loved the quotes from Phoebe Traeger at the beginning of each chapter. They were seriously thought provoking and at the same time gave me something to laugh out loud as I delved into each chapter.

7- Jax’s lethal brand of seduction. I seriously, seriously could get used to it! *winks*

I disliked: None.

For the full review with quotes from the story: http://bit.ly/fL7Q5M
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Irresistible.

01/26/2011
4.0% "The Wild Child, the Steel Magnolia or the Mouse? LOL! Which one is Maddie? ^_^"
01/26/2011
4.0% "Wise words to live by "Don't tale life too seriously. After all, none of us are getting out alive anyway." "
01/26/2011
4.0% "Wise words to live by "Don't take life too seriously. After all, none of us are getting out alive anyway." "
01/28/2011
14.0% "Not a bad way to go, she figured - death by lust."
01/28/2011
17.0% "Well, except that he had a voice that went down like smooth whiskey, a way of looking at her that tended to get her to say more than she should, and oh yeah, he kissed like heaven on earth.
Oh boy, does he! *sigh*"
41.0% "Earth to pussy-whipped Jax
I fricking LOVE this novel ^_^"
01/28/2011
54.0% ""If I looked like him," Tara said. "I'd want to have sex with myself. All the time."
Definitely with Tara on this one ^_^"
01/28/2011
100.0% "Its 2 am in the morning and I just finished Jax and Maddie's journey towards their HEA. Loved this one so much that I want the next book like right now? ^_^
Review coming soon!"

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Oh, you're reading this! I hope you're enjoying it, MBR!

message 2: by MBR (new) - rated it 5 stars

MBR Oh yes, started on it, enjoying it immensely ^.^
I think I am going to love the hero in this one ;)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Yeah, Jax is so sexy, funny, sweet and caring. Love him!

Marisol Whew Jax! I wanna read Tara & Ford's story now. :)

message 5: by MBR (new) - rated it 5 stars

MBR Marisol: I know!! Me too!! ^_^

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Awesome review, MBR! Oh, yes, Jax and his tool belt...and his seductive ways... makes a woman just melt. *swoons*

message 7: by MBR (new) - rated it 5 stars

MBR Thank you Jayne!! Jax is an awesome hero ^_^

Ronyell Awesome review! I just love Jax! He's so sexy!

message 9: by MBR (new) - rated it 5 stars

MBR Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review! I just love Jax! He's so sexy!"

Totally hear ya! ^_^