Mely's Reviews > A Coalition of Lions

A Coalition of Lions by Elizabeth Wein

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, young-adult
Recommended for: fans of Megan Whelan Turner

Reads like there's a missing first half -- the fall of Camlann, the ship voyage, the friendship between Goewin and Priamos. The most recent reread, I could finally see some of what Wein was attempting: the difficult position of a woman in a world which did not allow women to be politically powerful, where her only models were evil (Morgause), suffering (Turunesh), or half-mad (the Queen of Queens). But as much as I admire Wein's restraint and Goewin's self-control, I needed to see where Goewin's traumas earlier. I also wonder about the absence of Gwenhwyfar among Goewin's models.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Coalition of Lions.

Maureen E Hi! I know your review was ages ago, but you might be interested to know that A Coalition of Lions is actually a sequel! The first book is called The Winter Prince and would probably help clear up some of your questions. :)

message 2: by Mely (new) - added it

Mely Maureen wrote: "Hi! I know your review was ages ago, but you might be interested to know that A Coalition of Lions is actually a sequel! The first book is called The Winter Prince and would probably help clear up ..."

I actually read The Winter Prince first. As I said, what's missing for me is the period between The Winter Prince and A Coalition of Lions, particularly the fall of Camlann and the relationship between Goewin and Priamos.

Maureen E I see! I think I mis-read your original post.