Mely's Reviews > Silver Diamond, Volume 01: Silver Seed

Silver Diamond, Volume 01 by Shiho Sugiura

Jan 26, 2011

bookshelves: manga, shojo, writer-poc
Read in July, 2008

A Japanese high school student discovers he's a prince from another world when other visitors start coming through the /wormhole/typething. The nature of the other world is what's distinctive: it's a desert afflicted by a false "prince" who looks exactly like the protagonist Rakan, and it's wasting away due to lack of sunlight and dying plant life. Rakan is a a sanome who has the magical ability to make plants grow, as shown by the abundant life in his Japanese garden and his frequent pairing with flowers (one parody of the manga convention of indicating extreme beauty by metaphorical flowers still cracks me up), especially useful to the otherworldly because all their technology is plant-based, and one of the visitors turns out to be part plant himself. There's also a talking snake who sometimes turns into a sword. Sometimes I think that's the best part.

Charming, funny, unexpectedly engaging, lots of slashy (sub?) subtext. I've been waiting for the official translation of this for a while.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Diamond, Volume 01.