jennsquared's Reviews > The Apothecary's Daughter

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen

F_50x66
Jan 26, 11

Read from January 22 to 25, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I've heard of this book a little while ago, although I'm unsure where. I've always liked historic fiction and when I borrowed the Kindle from my library to try, this book was among the many titles that were already downloaded, so I took the opportunity and read it.

This book isn't just a historical fiction, but a Christian one. I personally didn't realize it until the later chapters as "praying" was mentioned much more then. So if you are detirred from reading this book because you think it's going to be too preachy for you, I can safely say that you need not worry.

This book has all the romance and drama a good book needs, however, one thing does get confusing is Lilly's love interests. At times, it feels unorganized because of many love interests, but for a "romance" novel, I feel that this area was under developed. There is no doubt that Roger Bromley, Sir Roderick Marlow, Francis and Dr. Graves all have strong feelings for Lilly, but how Lilly comes to choose was unclear to me. Maybe it's the setting of time in late 1700 to early 1800 and that love interests isn't supposed to be bold and out there, but there isn't any clear path to show why Lilly picked Francies.

The drama part of this book is well worth the read. It contains a twist that I did not forsee. Although I wish the author would explain more on Rosamond Haswell and why she departed and what she've done after she left the Haswells, but I guess the title is "The Apothecary's Daughter" for a reason. Maybe the author will consider a short story on Rosamond's adventures later on.

Overall, this book is entertaining, fast pace and would leave you want more from the Apothecary's Daughter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apothecary's Daughter.