Matthew Robbins's Reviews > No Other Gospel: 31 Reasons from Galatians Why Justification by Faith Alone Is the Only Gospel

No Other Gospel by Josh Moody

Feb 14, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, read-in-2011, commentaries, theology
Read from February 02 to 12, 2011

The gospel seems very simple. We are saved by grace, through faith, in Christ’s death on the cross for our sins. What does it mean to be saved “by faith,” though, and why is it so easy to distort practically in our lives into legalistic, pride-building law-keeping? We’re saved by faith, so why do we go back to the law, inadvertently communicating to the world that to be a Christian means to follow all the Bible’s rules so God will approve of us?

Those are essentially the questions that the book of Galatians in the Bible answers, and these and other questions are answered well through Josh Moody’s new book, No Other Gospel: 31 Reasons from Galatians Why Justification by Faith Alone is the Only Gospel. The book is based Moody’s expositional sermons through the book in his Wheaton, IL church.

This book actually took me a while to warm up to. I’m not sure what exactly it is about Moody’s writing style, but the first 100 pages or so felt a little disjointed at times to me. The points were helpful, but the arguments in each chapter didn’t seem to always flow perfectly and sometimes a point just jumped out of nowhere to me. I’m not sure if that reflects more on my attention through those pages or not because by the latter half of the book, I was really enjoying and being edified by this book. It’s extremely relevant to our everyday lives.

Although I’ve read it numerous times, I’ve never done a thorough, in-depth study of Galatians, and reading this book is basically that. It’s not a commentary, but its close. Moody walks through the book, with each chapter tackling a few verses of Paul’s indictment of law-keeping as a way to be justified before God. I found Moody’s exegesis of the scriptures very helpful, and his applications were always spot on. His pastor’s heart comes out in many places as well.

Legalism is still alive and thriving today, even within the Protestant Church that would heatedly argue that we are saved by faith alone through grace alone. The legalism we fall into is subtle, as was the kind that had crept into the Galatian Church to which Paul was writing. Our fallen human minds, driven by pride and wanting to control our own salvation, are prone to fall into legalism and moralism, regardless of our attempts to do otherwise, which is why I loved digging into Galatians so much. This book was very helpful in my own Christian walk as I try to fight against those tendencies, and I think most believers would be very helped by it as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Other Gospel.