Sammee (I Want to Read That)'s Reviews > Long Lankin

Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: for-review-read

Not only was Long Lankin one of those books I wanted to reread as soon as I'd finished it but I also wanted to thrust a copy into the hands of everyone I know and demand they read it. The story is as creepy and atmospheric as the cover suggests and I completely and utterly fell in love with it.

The story begins with Cora and her little sister Mimi arriving in Bryers Guerdon to stay with their Aunt Ada. It soon becomes apparent that their Aunt does not wish for them to stay with her, but not necessarily for the reasons they first think. Quickly befriending Roger and his brother, the four are drawn into the mystery surrounding the village. Who is the strange man they see lurking in the graveyard? And why is Cora's Aunt adamant they do not go near the old church? Determined to find all the answers Cora begins to undercover the terrifying truth... but will it be too late?

I honestly don't know where to begin. I found the story completely mesmerising - I could not put the book down and I found myself transported back in time to the 1950's to this small village called Bryers Guerdon. Told in alternating viewpoints between Cora, Roger and Ada we slowly uncover the truth. This works brilliantly, cleverly infusing the book with an energy that might have been missing otherwise. It also gives readers the opportunity to get to know each of the characters really well.

Cora is great as the driving force behind the story. She is very determined to find out what is going on, and as such comes across as very strong willed. I found myself liking her straight away. Roger is a fabulous character and I instantly liked him. His segments provide amusement and I loved his family. He prevents the story from being too melancholy and I found myself laughing out loud many times during his narration. At first I didn't particularly like Ada, but as I learned more and more about the history of the village and everything that happens I came to understand and really like her.

The story itself is brilliantly crafted. It's completely believable and compelling - a slow and intense build up that pays off beautifully at the end. The scenes featuring Long Lankin towards the end are especially creepy - wonderfully so in my opinion. I can't fault this one at all. A stunning debut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Lankin.