Angela's Reviews > The Perfect Scandal

The Perfect Scandal by Delilah Marvelle

Mar 13, 11

Read from February 08 to 27, 2011

While I can appreciate heroes and heroines who have a few flaws and imperfections, I felt Moreland (our hero) was beyond redemption. How could I as a reader care about a man who used whips and razors on himself. Yes, he was into slicing and cutting his body with a razor, and inflicting pain upon his person with his riding crop. As readers we aren't used to a hero who succombs to life's darker side or displays such weakness. We like our heroes to be larger than life, not mere humans who have serious issues.

And our heroine, Zosia was a paraplegic who lost a leg during a senseless act of vandalism stemming from battles between Russia and her beloved Poland. These two couldn't have been more different but from the moment Zosia saw Moreland, she vowed to attract his attention. They quickly develop a mutual attraction and determine that in order to save her from the marriage minded suitors who are lined up around the block to leave their cards, Moreland would marry her himself.

Years ealier, as Zosia was trapped in a burning house, along came a handsome russian , Maxsim, who pulled her out of the house. The two share an intensely intimate moment as he gives her the first adult kiss of her life and she gave him her heart in a youthful crush.

Fast forward back to present as Maxsim shows up to claim Zosia as his bride. It turns out that Zosia herself is Russian, a fact she is unaware of. And her rightful place is as The Grand Duchess of Russia and Maxsim's wife.

Moreland enters Zosia's house in the middle of the night and carries her out into the night, first to meet his grandmother and then to a ship he has chartered to carry them to America, where she can speak out against the oppression of her polish people.

In the carriage ride to the ship, Moreland and Zosia consumate their relationship, just before Maxsim catches up to the runaway couple.

This is a dark but thoroughly engaging story that demonstrates the power of love and faith that can overcome all obstacles. Ms. Marvelle draws her readers into this tale with brilliant characterization, execellent writing skills and historical accuracy. Don't miss out on Moreland and Zosia's journey toward a love that is forgiving and accepting of each other. A love that has the power to bring about changes and growth in a person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Scandal.

02/15/2011 page 153

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angela After reading the first few pages of The Perfect Scandal, I was prepared to not like this story. And then a wonderous thing happened. Ms Marvelle had me well and truly hooked into this tale. I began to care about the characters and how they were screwing up their lives. Let me begin with my initial objections to this book.