Becca's Reviews > Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College

Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov

Feb 05, 11

Read from January 26 to February 05, 2011

This is a pretty good book, over all, for nitty-gritty, try-it-this-way teaching techniques. Whether you're already using them or not, the [mostly] lucid prose and examples provide food for thought for teachers who are seeking to improve their practice. There are several techniques I either want to try out for myself or work to improve on based on what I read.

That said, the book loses points for two reasons: 1) There are many parts of it that sound like ad copy for various charter schools. And charter school teachers are the only ones offered as examples of "champion" teachers. This is understandable given the author's background but irksome nonetheless. 2) If you are publishing a book about how to be the best, most rigorous teacher you can be, you should lobby your publisher to invest in the best, most rigorous copyeditor he can find. The textual errors run the gamut from minor typos to major meaning-changing omissions or accidental repetitions of text. There were places where I had to reread three and four times to figure out what the hell the sentence was supposed to say. Not cool.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teach Like a Champion.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Thank you for pointing out the issue of typos and errors. For a book that has received so much attention it is unbelievable that so many simple editing errors were allowed. Was a copyeditor even used?