Mary Overton's Reviews > A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life

A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life by Śāntideva

Apr 10, 11

Read from January 26 to April 09, 2011

Translation by Vesna A. Wallace and B. Alan Wallace; copyright 1997.
From the Introduction:
"Although the BODHICARYAVATARA has already been translated several times into English, earlier translations have been based exclusively on either Sanskrit versions or Tibetan translations. To the best of our knowledge, no earlier translation into English, including the recent translation by Kate Crosby and Andrew Skilton, has drawn from both the Sanskrit version and its authoritative Sanskrit commentary of Prajnakarmati as well as Tibetan translations and commentaries. Our present translation is based on two Sanskrit editions, namely, Louis de la Vallee Poussin's edition (1901) ... and P.L. Vaidya's edition (1960) ...; and it is also based the Tibetan Derge edition, entitled the BODHISATTVA-CARYAVATARA translated by by Sarvajnadeva and dPalbrtsegs. We have also consulted two Tibetan commentaries to this work.... [P]ronouncements concerning which of the extant Sanskrit and Tibetan versions is truer to the original appear to be highly speculative, with very little basis in historical fact. This translation attempts to let these versions speak for themselves - as closely as the English allows - leaving our readers to make their own judgments concerning the degree of antiquity, authenticity, and overall coherence of the Sanskrit and Tibetan renditions of Santideva's classic treatise."
Kindle location 16

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life.