Hazel's Reviews > Jane Boleyn: The True Story of the Infamous Lady Rochford

Jane Boleyn by Julia Fox

F 50x66
Jan 26, 11

Read in January, 2011

I did really enjoy this book, Tudor History is one of my favorite subjects and I will never get bored reading about it. Julia Fox's writing style was very easy to follow and I felt it was a really smooth read, I didn't find myself skipping back a few pages to remind myself on details about a particular point. I have always found Jane Boleyn a bit of a mystery, I have never really come across anything positive written about her and I wanted to know more about her life, who she really was. History uses Jane as a scapegoat the, cruel woman who helped to bring down Anne and George Boleyn. No matter what I read about Jane I always knew there is far more to her story than that so when I found this book I couldn't wait to read it!

The book did disappoint me somewhat, there really wasn't much information about Jane, the book seemed more to focus on the events surrounding her but not really on Jane. I understand that Historians can only go off what records they have at hand but still I thought there would be much more about Jane? I came away from the book without much more knowledge than I already had. It was great that there wasn't anything negative about her in the book, Jane isn't some monster who hated Anne Boleyn and wanted her Husband dead, she had to do what she had to survive as everyone did in those times.

I hope there are many more books going to be written about Jane Boleyn and finally I hope her reputation will change for the better! I did find myself looking at the drawing several times of "the Lady Parker" by Holbein, hoping that it was Jane? She probably isn't but it would be wonderful if we could finally put a face to the name!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Boleyn.