Phillip's Reviews > The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science

The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge

Jan 26, 11

Read in June, 2008

If you are dear to me then I implore you to read this book. Consider it part of my living will. Read this book before making dramatic decisions about my health, especially if I am unfortunate enough to suffer a debilitating stroke or brain injury. If you know me at all then you must be aware - my force of will shall overcome. I will find a way to recover... and Doidge has shown that the ability is within us. This is a fascinating read. The human brain is phenomenally complex, we already know that part, but its ability to evolve and wire-up new nerve pathways, its ability overcome damage and trauma and preserve its function as we age, this part, this amazing capacity has only come to light at the end of the 20th century. I'm sorry to inform you; what you learned in school about the brain-map was wrong. Long held medical beliefs that guided treatment after brain injury or stroke have been disproved. If your doctor has practiced for 20 or more years then pray they have continued their study as brain science has advanced. Better yet, educate yourself, start here.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brain That Changes Itself.