Rachel Randall's Reviews > The Choirmaster

The Choirmaster by Justine Elyot

Jan 28, 11

Read from January 26 to 28, 2011

Enjoyed this latest from Justine Elyot.

The Choirmaster reads like an urban fairy tale. There's something deliciously ethereal about heroine Loveday and invitingly stylised about the London she inhabits and the trials to be overcome. In places the writing and dialogue seems old-fashioned, overly courtly, but it feels deliberate. When Loveday meets her hero Matthew in the memorable opening scenes, it has all the momentum of a prince's rescue -- not so much a meet-cute for her as a meet-thank-goodness.

Loveday's down, but never counted out despite her almost Dickensian trials, and Elyot lets her huge voice and a huge passion for life shine through. And Matthew may conduct musicians, but he's also the perfect person to direct Loveday's life.

Highlights for me included:
- London! Amsterdam!
- the hurt/comfort angle that felt intense but never too overwrought
- the vivid descriptions of the music and being in a choir
- Loveday's physicality (I wanted to pick her up and cuddle her)
- Matthew in general (deliciously certain about what he wants from life while being an all-around decent bloke -- that kind of quiet confidence is HOT)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Choirmaster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks so much for this! Urban fairytale was exactly what I was aiming for and I'm so pleased Matthew and Loveday came across exactly as I wanted them to. Lovely thoughtful review, many thanks for taking the time.