Melissa's Reviews > How to Woo a Reluctant Lady

How to Woo a Reluctant Lady by Sabrina Jeffries

1922992
Jan 30, 11

Read from January 25 to 30, 2011

This is the third book in the Hellions series. I did not read the other two and it was not necessary to enjoy this book. This historical romance takes place in England where the matriarch of the estate has offered an ultimatum. The Sharpe siblings all must marry in order to inherit their family's fortune. Minerva is loathe to accept such an ultimatum, but does not want to see her brothers and their families have a hard time without adequate funds. So, Minerva decides to pretend to be engaged to the family friend, Giles, who is known to be a total scoundrel and rogue to force Gran into forgetting the rules to the inheritance. Gran is wise to her maneuvers and finds that Giles really does want to marry Minerva. However, will Giles be a possessive husband? After all women had to be totally under their thumb at that time and she would have to give up her one passion if he required it. And no one is going to demand that Minerva give up her writing.

I have to admit I did not like Giles until the end of the book. He demanded truth, trust, and an open heart when he was not prepared to give that himself. This really irritated me and I was afraid that the author would just ignore this oversite and conclude the book with Minerva being swept into his arms without Giles actually opening himself up as well. Fortunately, this is not the book Ms. Jeffries wrote. In fact Giles finds himself painfully open and even though he was afraid, he decided to trust those around him. Luckily he was also rewarded by finding he put his trust in the correct people and I found myself liking this rogue.

I give this book 3 1/2 stars and recommend this book to those that enjoy a sweet, historical romance with a woman who knows her own worth.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Woo a Reluctant Lady.