Jenne's Reviews > At Home: A Short History of Private Life

At Home by Bill Bryson

Feb 01, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, favorites
Read from January 24 to 31, 2011

Ooh, yes please. This is juuust the kind of thing I like. It reminds me of trying to organize a closet, where one thing leads to something else, and something else, and something else until you find yourself in the middle of re-installing a light fixture and you look over and the closet is in a mess all over the floor...anyway where was I?

Yeah, anyway, it's actually much better organized than I make it sound, and somehow manages to be organized chronologically AND spatially AND at the same time charming, and on practically every page you go "huh! I didn't know that!"

Warning: the "Bedroom" and "Nursery" chapters are not for the faint of heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Home.

01/28/2011 page 190
38.0% "This is the book that that Chris Kimball book was trying to be and failed."

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 5: by Hildie (new)

Hildie Jenne,
The catholic nature of your reading material is so impressive. I loved the review, and I also liked Bill Bryson's "Heat". Clearly you share an inexhaustible curiosity with him... and me.

Jenne Thank you, Hildie! Although I think "Heat" was by Bill Buford...but I loved it too!

message 3: by Hildie (new)

Hildie Oh dear. All these Bill B's -- I think you're right. OK, Bryson isn't THAT catholic in his interests....

Sandy This sounds fascinating and your description, Jenne, makes it even more intriguing!

Sandy Now that I've finished this, I appreciate your review even more! You've said it all.