Tracy's Reviews > Made in the U.S.A

Made in the U.S.A by Billie Letts

Jan 27, 11

As a fan of Billie Letts' other books, I have to say I was a bit disappointed in this, her most recent. It follows her usual format: Members of the fringes of society fall into rough situations, and bond with one another for the happy ending. But usually this is done in a way that is satisfying to read. In "Made in the USA", the main characters are a young sister and brother, Lutie and Fate, respectively, who, facing foster care, decide to run away together to Las Vegas. Trouble befalls them, and Lutie makes tough choices to provide for herself and her younger brother. It was difficult to read the tragedies these kids face. As common in Letts novels, help comes in the most unlikely of places, but in this case it wrapped up just a little too neatly for me. It seemed that the author just gave up part way through. Since reading this book, I discovered that Billie Letts lost her husband recently, and announced that she isn't sure that she's going to be writing anymore, and fears her muse has left her. I hope that if Mrs. Letts has another "Honk and Holler Opening Soon" to write, then she really should press on. But if this is what is going to keep coming from her, maybe its time to take up a new hobby.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made in the U.S.A.