Marie's Reviews > The New Policeman

The New Policeman by Kate Thompson

1200328
Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, library, fantasy, fiction
Read from January 25 to 26, 2011 , read count: 1

It took a while to get used to the (very) short chapters and, for lack a better term, the musical interludes, but once so accustomed, they weren't intrusive on the story at all: and I liked how the scores effectively named the preceding chapter.

I felt for all of the characters, especially the family left behind, and Thompson handled the situation both with empathy but not too much pathos. There's enough depth and complexity in the emotion even for adult readers, though it's clear enough for the younger audience. However, J.J., the young protagonist, is 15, and for some reason pictured him quite a bit younger. The plot was, perhaps less than complex or original, but the characters were engaging enough that I simply read it all in one sitting: literally couldn't put it down, though it only took me a few hours.

Overall a fun read, but unless you are willing to read it all at once, the short chapters and basic story might be too obvious. Still, it kept me reading up past my bedtime ;) and I'm glad to have read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Policeman.

01/25/2011 page 73