Lily (WhoLockian)'s Reviews > Stork

Stork by Wendy Delsol

Jan 25, 11

Stork by Wendy Delsol

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything. Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life
(Synopsis provided by goodreads.com)

Stork is a debut novel. I really loved the idea of this novel with Katla being a Stork. No, not the bird, but close. She is in charge of picking a vessel (parent) for babies, so in other words she picks who gets pregnant.
I really liked how Delsol shows Katla growing as a person during the whole novel. I can’t help but feel like her duties as a Stork has a lot to do with how she develops as a character.
The other characters in this small town are just as loveable as she is. It should be said that this is most likely one of those books that falls in the love it or hate it pile. I happened to love it!
Delsol, shows real promise as an author and I really enjoyed seeing how she wove Norse tales into her story, but at the same time she made it all her own. The dialogue was great! All of the situations felt real to me and nothing felt forced or like Delsol was “grasping”. I loved this book and wished it was longer. Needless to say Delsol is an author I will be watching!

Overall rating:
***** 5 out of 5 stars!

Cover art:
I love the cover art it’s beautiful and makes me think “Snow Queen”

Obtained:
Thank you to Heather from Candlewick press for sending me a copy for review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stork.