Laura (All of Everything)'s Reviews > Savannah Grey

Savannah Grey by Cliff McNish

Feb 15, 11

Read from January 31 to February 13, 2011

First off, I've never read anything like this before. I'm on the fence about this one; I didn't dislike it, but I didn't love it either.

Savannah is this teenage girl with a strange throat affliction. It starts with a sore throat, then her foster mother informs her that there are strange sounds coming from her mouth when she sleeps. When she visits the hospital for blood test results, she unwillingly lashes out at an attendant trying to look down her throat. Whatever is in her throat, it makes her assault a nurse, almost kill her best friend, and prevents her from kissing anyone ever.

Savannah gets the feeling that the throat 'weapon' is there to protect her. Multiple times she comes to the conclusion that she's meant to fight a monster because she saw it in her dreams. Uh-huh. This was the major peeve for me. Savannah was surprisingly calm and majorly intuitive as to the strange ability of hers. She came to conclusions way too easily. Strange things in my throat? Must be to fight a monster. See a strange creature running out of your house in the middle of the night? Go after it of course!

With the disturbing imagery and the mystery surrounding what exactly is in Savannah's throat and its purpose, I thought she moved into her role as 'monster hunter' way too easily. It just didn't come off as very realistic to me. She's 15 yet transitions into something like a superhero in a very short amount of time.

Every few chapters or so, we go to the viewpoint of the Ocrassa, this being that has existed, well, since the beginnings of life. It goes from an organism and is able to actively evolve. It exists as an amoeba, lives with the dinosaurs, the plants, in the ocean, and its main goal of its existence is to be the ultimate creature. It dominates everything else and is seemingly indestructible until nature came along and made Savannah Grey. It has to kill her to regain its place at the top of the food chain.
It was interesting being in the Ocrassa's one track mind and even more interesting as it 'created' itself; molded legs and arms or extra eyes. It was creepy to witness its steely, emotionless demeanor.

Bottom Line
I'm not sure how to classify this book. It's sort of sci-fi but it also has some morbid undertones that made me cringe a bit to imagine. It was strange but held my attention long enough to wonder what was going to happen next, though it did end quite suddenly. If you're a fan of horror books or just want to read something completely different, you might like this.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savannah Grey.

02/10/2011 page 181
02/10/2011 page 181
67.0% "Strange..but it keeps me reading"
show 1 hidden update…