Timothy's Reviews > Kith

Kith by Holly Black

Jan 25, 2011

it was ok
Read in January, 2010

What seemed to be an interesting story in Volume 1 (Kin), ends up falling apart in this second volume, Kith.

First of all, Ted Naifeh seemed to have either lost his touch or was only halfheartedly interested in this volume, as one of the big issues was the lack of detail on many of the characters. At certain times, characters would suddenly look different from frame to frame making it easy for the reader to mistaken the new drawing for a different character. Other times, Naifeh seems to use a minimalist style for the characters so at certain moments, one can easily mistaken one character for another. There were several moments I had to reread certain sections since I had to correct my mistaken assumptions regarding character in a scene.

As for the story, once the mystery of the first volume was solved, the second volumes seemed to have been relegated as a filler for a future climax, as the plot doesn't really advance. Instead we're given a series of events that seem to have no real reason, other than to look "faerie" or ethereal (which Naifeh couldn't seem to pull off).

Considering the price of this item, this is not something I can really recommend to anybody other than serious fans of either Black or Naifeh. However, it is entirely possible for me to change my mind considering how the next volume turns out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kith.

12/09/2016 marked as: read