Timothy's Reviews > The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa

Mar 16, 11

Read in May, 2010, read count: 1

As fun as Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was, The Sigh of Harushi Suzumiya seems to fall short of the feeling of fun and excitement that was prevalent in the first book. In some ways that's not surprising since (from my understanding), Tanigawa never originally anticipated in creating a sequel, and this book in some ways feels a bit light in content and plump in filler. After all, how can one top a (potentially) world ending cataclysmic event that occurred in Melancholy?

Compared to that, the 'crisis' that is prevalent throughout this book seems somewhat anti-climactic and in some ways petty. For the most part, this book is basically about the ego of Haruhi. Although it was present in the previous book, it was only visible in palatable doses, while here, we're treated to the whole enchilada. In addition, about five percent of the book is of Koizumi's (for better lack of word) technobabble, as he talks one theory of 'reality vs fiction' after another.

Frustratingly, most of this would have been bearable if not for the odd translation decisions made by the translator throughout this book. For a book that's set in Japan, most of the cultural references were replaced with an American equivalent. While that is certainly understandable to give the non-Japanese speaking reader a certain context to understand, it leaves me somewhat puzzled as to why then, certain terms themselves are left untranslated? Unless, one is familiar with Japanese or has a dictionary handy, I doubt anybody would know what 'hikkikomori' or 'tokusatsu' means. Personally, I'd have been find if the translator left the name of a Japanese band in the script, if it meant translating the rest into English. At least with the bands, I would still understand the context.

Overall, it's a decent book, but mainly for fans of the series who would be reading this just to barrel through to the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya.