Heather Faville's Reviews > Fated

Feb 08, 11

Read from January 25 to February 07, 2011

Fate is for those too weak to determine their own Destiny. ~Kamran Hamid

click to purchase

Ever have one of those days where you knew Lady Luck wasn’t on your side? She was probably in Monaco doing her thing. Karma may be a bitch, but that’s usually only when he’s drinking. He’s an alcoholic. Oh yeah, and do you see that gorgeous redhead with the skin tight leather skirt, bustier with matching 3 inch heels? That’s Destiny and unless you happen to be in her path, no, she’s not looking at you.

Fate, aka Fabio Delucci, is tired of his job. He has the disheartening task of standing back and watching as most of the population ruins their lives. Unlike, Destiny, who has the much better job of guiding her humans in a more positive direction (Oscars, Nobel Peace Prizes, the cure for Cancer), Fate has the child molesters, drunks, and run-of-the-mill underachievers. Not exactly a thrill-a-minute and after over 250,000 years…it’s pretty boring.

Until he runs into his neighbor Sara Griffen and after a few chance meetings and then some stalking Fabio comes to the the unthinkable…he is in love with this human! They finally, officially meet and fall head over heels for each other. He has to hide it from Jerry (aka God) and all the other personifications, especially Destiny because interfering and falling in love with humans is forbidden.

This new found love is an inspiration to Fate and he begins to help the sad, pathetic people who are on his path to achieve happiness and sometimes, oops, put them on the path of Destiny. However, everything starts to fall apart when the fated people he helped start dying. Was it really because of his interference or is someone trying to sabotage him? How long can he keep is relationship secret in the face of these deaths?

I had no idea what to expect when I began to read Fated. It turns out that Fated is very lighthearted and ironic tale. Our main character Fabio is an engaging and likable entity along with memorable personifications of his co-workers and pals Gluttony, Vanity, Dennis (aka Death), Hope, Secrecy, Honesty, and Lady Luck. Author, S.G. Browne, gives each of these beings unique personality quirks that added that slight touch of “humanity” to them, which made each of them much more real and enjoyable to read.

Now everyone can relate to being in an unsatisfying job at some point (if you can’t relate you, my friend, are in the sights of Lady Luck herself) and, just imagine, finally breaking out and doing something to make it better only to have it blow up in your face. That is just not right, no matter who it’s happening to or why. I have to admit, Fated, truly, made me laugh out loud a few times (the cute and quirky relationship of Fate and Sara), stop to think for a bit and yes, even tear up slightly. The ending was very surprising and out of the blue for me, but after thinking about it for a bit I came to decide that I was very satisfied with how things turned out.

While the majority of Fated is lighthearted and humerus, but there is still that area that makes you, as a reader, sit back and ask who’s path am I on…Fate or Destiny?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fated.

01/31/2011 page 64
02/02/2011 page 157
43.0% "Really enjoying so far!"
show 1 hidden update…