Kristen's Reviews > Lady Susan

Lady Susan by Jane Austen

Jan 26, 2011

bookshelves: audio-books, 2011, fiction, classics, funny, reviewed
Read from January 25 to 26, 2011

This was just so much fun. Lady Susan is (and I don't think Jane would mind me using this word were she alive today) a biotch. A complete and total biotch, in fact, who schemes and plots and just generally tries to muck everything up for everyone else. This book is like a classier soap opera, where we get to see the villain making their evil plans.

Although I don't think the epistolary format shows Jane (and, yes, she's my homey and I use her first name) in her best light, I did love that we get to see the characters' thoughts first hand. Her other stories are all couched in the social niceties of the times, and this one just lays it all out on the line. The characters are much less guarded in writing to one another than they would have to be in polite company. The format allows Jane's snarkiness to be on full display, and the results can be quite amusing.

This is a really short, quick read that is a must for fans of Jane. The audio production is done by a cast and is quite fabulous, as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Susan.