Josephine's Reviews > A Crime So Monstrous: Face-to-Face with Modern-Day Slavery

A Crime So Monstrous by E. Benjamin Skinner

Jan 25, 11

Read in November, 2010

Skinner writes:
“I assume you come from a place where there is an idea that humans have rights,” he added, regaining his composure and kicking at an ashy firepit. “Why does no one care about our slavery here?” (p.103)

I think the simple answer to that is this: a lot of us aren’t aware that slavery still exists.

I didn’t know up until a few months ago, when I started reading every book I could get my hands on about the subject.

Skinner spent four years traveling around the world so he could report firsthand on the people who live in slavery, who have escaped from bondage, or who own and traffic slaves.

The stories he tells are maddeningly familiar now that I’ve read Kevin Bales’ books as well.

Corrupt Indian officials and a justice system that makes a mockery of the very notion of justice.

But seeking justice isn’t simple — especially if there are mixed political motives from those who seek to combat the crime.

Skinner writes about this at length (and I have to admit, these were the parts I had the hardest time ploughing through).

All of the stories told in Skinner’s book just stay with you — in the same manner in which all of the other books on modern day slavery have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Crime So Monstrous.