Becky's Reviews > Trickster: Native American Tales: A Graphic Collection

Trickster by Matt Dembicki

I highly enjoyed this one-of-a-kind compilation which brings together 21 Native American storytellers with comics artists of their choice. The resulting book showcases many art styles, and reads like you are listening to a real storyteller (some of these would work well to tell to a group or class!). My favorites were "Rabbit's Choctaw Tail Tale," told by Tim Tingle and illustrated by Pat Lewis (whose zany style is laugh-out-loud funny), and "How the Alligator Got His Brown, Scaly Skin," told by Joyce Bear and illustrated by Megan Baehr. It was also interesting that three of the stories centered around the trickster playing dead (and were not from the same tribe at all). Would be good for older elementary/teens/adults with a folktale interest or assignment.

From the author: "The point wasn't to Westernize the stories for general consumption, but rather to provide an opportunity to experience authentic Native American stories, even if it sometimes meant clashing with Western vernacular."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trickster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Oooh, good call on the assignment front! I've added this book & a catalog search for Native American folktales to our Native Americans explore guide @ http://explore.westervillelibrary.org...

message 2: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Also features some local talent, if you didn't know. It debuted at SPACE last year with a couple of the contributors in attendance and is a finalist for the 2010 SPACE Prize. One artist I know for sure is a Columbus native (and a former Barnes & Noble co-worker) is Andy Bennett.

Becky Tamara - that's great!!

Jordan - hey, I thought you quit Goodreads! Glad to know about the C-bus connection. I also checked just now and was glad to see Mr. Bennett's work was not one of the few that I thought were weak links in this compilation. ;)

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan I haven't been on in ages, but I still get the e-mail updates and always like reading your reviews. To illustrate just how long it's been, I noticed a message on here from Evan dated 2009 that I never got or responded to. Whoops.

Becky Whoops! Maybe it's not too late to respond...? I like the email updates, too, but have fallen really far behind in reading them.

message 6: by Evan (new)

Evan I'm hijacking this thread--Jordan your message made my day! I had forgotten that I had asked you that, but you were correct on the dead comic book artist. Woo hoo! (And welcome back to Goodreads...)

Becky Happy reunions all around!