Annmarie's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

1964916
Feb 08, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, zombies, post-apocalyptic, crossover-appeal
Read from January 25 to February 08, 2011

All right, this turned out well. I would give it a 3.5 stars if I could. The novel is a mash-up of zombie and political suspense thriller. It takes place in the U.S. some 20-30 years after two medical cures went haywire and cross pollinated themselves into creating zombies, thus decimating the population. The exploration of how a modern technological society deals when faced with the ever present danger of zombies and infection is interesting.

Georgia and her brother Shaun are young 20-somethings who are developing a career in blogging, post-apocalyptic style. Mainstream media sources aren't as well trusted among the younger set as news bloggers, because mainstream media flubbed the reporting of zombie breakouts and people had to turn to the conglomerate of bloggers to find the truth and breaking news. Georgia is the news blogger, Edward R. Murrow style, their partner Buffy is the fiction writer, and Shaun is the "Irwin", who draws in the audience with risky explorations of zombie zones, aka "poking dead things with a stick". Their blogging venture has just won a big coup by being invited to cover a presidential hopeful's campaign. Unfortunately there seem to be some suspicious events occurring that put the candidate's entourage and campaign very much in danger, and the bloggers are determined to get to the bottom of it.

The novel has a bit of excess exposition, but it's creative and exciting and the bond between siblings is affecting, as is Georgia's "the truth must be told!" determination. I think it would make an excellent crossover novel, in fact it has kind of a young adult feel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

01/30/2011 page 210
37.0% "My zombie novel has turned into a political novel about a presidential campaign with scrappy news bloggers and constant tgreat of terrorists, I mean zombies. Hmmm. More zombies, less politics pls."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Ohhh! Promising indeed! Can't wait to hear the final verdict.