Cecilia Solis-sublette's Reviews > Birthmarked

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi-dystopia

This is one of those post-apocalyptic teen novels that, I feel, would appeal more to young women than to young men. What made this novel unique was that our heroine is a midwife. Given that, there is a lot having to do with birthing, mothering, pregnancy, etc. There is also the idea of poor women forced to hand over their newborns to the wealthier "enclave" where their lives will, somehow, be better because of the "opportunity" for privelege, education, etc. So, this novel ends up challenging that idea - what it means to be priveleged and how that does not always have to do with the material. It also explores the idea of the value of family, both biological and adoptive, and how mothers are capable of loving their babies long after they are gone. In the midst of all this, there's a little rebellion, a little romance, a little coming of age. I would have preferred a less lonesome ending for our protagonist and a more definitive ending of the "Enclave" but I sense this writer was setting us up for a follow-up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.