James's Reviews > Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver

Apr 25, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 02 to 23, 2011

While a children's story, this contains some good ideas. The main character, Torak, is orphaned at the start of the story by a demoniacally possessed bear and must go to the Spirit Mountain to defeat it. What follows is his journey to fulfil this quest.

The setting is believable and the author obviously spent a great deal of time researching the setting. The idea that demons are formed when spirits from the death of waterfalls or rivers are captured is novel and fits in with the setting that she has created. My only complaint is that these ideas could have been fleshed out more, but taking into account that this is a children's book had the author done so it would most likely have been too complicated for them and put them off.

What I can say with some certainty is that my 8 year old son absolutely loves this book and the rest in the series and he read them all back to back within a period of a week. Taking this into account the author has obviously succeeded in their aim to produce an excellent children's story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Brother.